I made some sushi over the weekend. There were a few moments of frustrations and arguments but the end result was pretty darn good!
I went with avocado and crab meat as the filling and it was pretty incredible!
The majority of the ingredients were from M&S and it was all bought at a reasonable price. All you need to make sushi is a bamboo mat, nori, sushi rice, mayonnaise, soy sauce, rice mirin, brown caster sugar and fillings of your choice (tuna, smoked salmon, crab meat, avocado, cucumber, red pepper)
Here’s a quick run through of how I made it:
- Wash and drain the sushi rice and leave it to soak in cold water for half an hour. Once the time is up, cook the rice until all the water has evaporated. Add 2 table spoons of rice miring, and 1 tablespoon of caster sugar. Rice is done!
- To make the Japanese mayonnaise; mix together 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise with 5 tablespoons of rice mirin and 1 teaspoon of soy sauce.
Now you’re ready to go…
- Place the nori sheet on the bamboo mat with the shiny side down
- Pat a thin layer of rice down leaving about 1 cm around the border
- Put a layer of the Japanese mayonnaise on top of the rice
- Add the fillings of your choice and then get rolling!
- Leave the sushi rolls in the fridge for a few minutes as that makes it easier to cut it.