Welcome to Stilettos and Stethoscopes!
The musings of a 23 year old medical student who is studying at Lancaster University in England hoping to make the world a better place a little at a time. I am currently undertaking an intercalated BSc in Reproductive and Developmental Sciences at Imperial College London.
A few things to know about me:
- I am a Christian. I am simply someone who was broken and was fixed by an unimaginable force of grace. To say that I’m the perfect example of my faith would be a lie; I am far from perfection. Yet, discovering God’s love has made me the happiest I can be.
- I was born in Oman where I lived the nine years of my life as a child. I moved to England at the age of 9. My parents are originally from India (Kerala) and even though I don’t have a lot of ties with that beautiful country, I am very much interested in my heritage. I am proud to say that I can speak, read and write Malayalam!
- Being a humanitarian is something that I have strived for since the age of 10/11 when I watched my first documentary on how AIDS affects children in rural Africa. As a human being and a follower of Christ, I believe that I should live my life serving others. So far, I have volunteered in a number of countries and intend to do more voluntary work over the course of my life in developing countries. My ultimate aim is to work with MSF (Doctors without borders). The work they do in war-torn and/or poverty-stricken countries is absolutely incredible and I would love to be a part of it one day. At some point in the future, I would love to set up a charity in a developing country that runs a free healthcare clinic in rural areas for a month or so a year.
- I am passionate about women’s health and I am hoping to pursue a career in Obstetrics and Gynaecology in the future.
- My life is not all about medicine! Some of my other interests include: fine art and reading. I have been dancing from a very young age but it was only a few years ago that I began to really appreciate how incredible it makes me feel. I have been doing Bollywood dance ever since I can remember and took up Hip-Hop in year 7.
This blog is about the journey I take through medical school and beyond. Be prepared to join my experiences of happiness, sadness, anger and every other human emotion that I’m willing to share with you.
Any questions or doubts? Drop me a message through my contact form and I will happily reply to you.
*DISCLAIMER* All views are my own and not affiliated with Lancaster University/Imperial College London. Most pictures are mine but some may be from other sources, in which case I have attached the authorship.